You can find Buckwheat Flour in the supermarkets now. It is an emerging super food and is not related to wheat! It’s not even a grain, it’s actually a seed that is related to rhubarb and sorrell.
Buckwheat is high in protein, containing all 8 Essential Amino Acids, for more information on these read Do I Need A Protein Powder?. Also high in fibre and magnesium it helps to lower cholesterol and blood pressure.
Buckwheat is gluten-free although, similar to oats, growing and manufacturing processes cannot guarantee that it has not been contaminated with gluten so if your intolerance is severe I would suggest that you use a gluten-free flour instead.
- Berries, chopped apple or banana with nut butter or yogurt
- Bacon, eggs and avocado
- Scrambled egg and smoked salmon
- Ham and grated cheese
- Frozen black cherries (defrosted and warmed in the microwave) with cream of your choice
This recipe is:
Fry in plenty of coconut oil and top with high fat toppings such as almond butter, full fat greek yogurt, Coconut milk or avocado and egg
Top with coconut milk yogurt and berries
Make extra and freeze with a piece of greaseproof paper between each one. you can then take these out of the freezer and pop in the toaster from frozen for a super speedy breakfast. Spread with nut butter for a speedy high protein breakfast on the run
Buckwheat flour is very versatile and can be used in all sorts of baking. You could use it instead of quinoa flour and tapioca flour in my Grain Free Tortilla Protein Wraps or just make more pancakes!
Buckwheat Pancakes (serves 2 normal people and 1 me)!
- 1/2 cup of buckwheat flour
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/3 cup milk of your choice
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- Cooking fat of your choice. Coconut oil works really well and I would imagine that butter would be amazing if you can tolerate it. I personally used olive oil.
- Toppings of your choice
- Heat some oil in a frying pan
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk well to a thick batter
- Spoon dollops of batter into the pan and gently spread into rounds
- Once the mixture starts to bubble on the surface and the pancakes are golden underneath flip and cook on the other side
- Top with the toppings of your choice
Follow this blog for more great recipes coming soon