Mushrooms and Poached Eggs – what can I say. This is a surprisingly filling breakfast that is high in protein. I actually had 2 poached eggs but 1 looked prettier in the picture!
Mushrooms are high in Antioxidants, Selenium, Vitamin D and Folate which contribute to good heart health and inhibit or slow the growth of some cancer cells. Selenium also boosts the immune system.
Eggs are a must for breakfast as the high protein content makes us feel fuller for longer. They contain several nutrients that are good for heart health and are full of vitamin D which is good for our bones.
I used Portabello Mushrooms as they have a deep, rich flavour but all mushrooms taste nice, even the value ones so just use what you can afford. The twist of lemon is a surprising addition to this dish but for some reason lemon and mushrooms just work!
This recipe is:
Serve with toast of your choice or sauteed sweet potato
Fry the mushrooms in plenty of butter or coconut fat
Buy yourself a fancy mix of wild and exotic mushrooms!
This dish is so quick to prepare that the only way you could make it faster is ready sliced mushrooms!
Pre-boil the water for the egg in a kettle for speedier poaching
Left over mushrooms can be used up in my Quinoa Hash which will be posted soon
Lots of my recipes use spinach so look through the blog using the drop down catagory menu for ideas
Eat Clean, Grain Free Breakfast Stir fry of Mushrooms Topped with the Perfect Poached Egg (serves 1)
- 3 Portabello Mushrooms sliced or 250 gr of other mushrooms sliced
- Cooking fat of your choice
- A smidgen of garlic (optional)
- A squeeze of lemon
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Handful of spinach
- 1 – 2 eggs
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and boil the kettle
- Add the mushrooms to the frying pan and the boiling water to a poaching pan and bring to a simmer
- Stir fry the mushrooms and whilst they are cooking season with salt and pepper
- Whilst the mushrooms are cooking crack your eggs gently into the simmering water for 5 mins
- Add a squeeze of lemon to the mushrooms
- Lay the spinach on a plate and top with the mushrooms
- Lay the poached egg on top of the mushrooms cut into the yolk and watch the yolk-porn!
Take a picture and share it on Twitter (tag in @cleanleanbeanie) and Instagram (tag in @cleanleanbeanblog) #yolkporn and I will give you a re-tweet!