Its Breakfast Week this week on cleanleanbean and everyday I will be posting the recipes for the actual breakfasts that I had last week. To make sure you do not miss these please follow my blog!
I love breakfast. It is without doubt my favourite meal of the day! I like to load up on breakfast to fuel me up for a busy morning. Have you heard the saying “Breakfast like a King, lunch like a prince, tea like a pauper”? Its basically saying eat your calories up front, so that you burn them off throughout the day rather than at night when they wont be used and will be stored as fat. Its a bit difficult in our society as dinner or tea tends to be our social meal and largest one of the day. You could counteract that by having no or low carbs for dinner and loading up on meat and veg. However if you are training in the evening then you need to refuel with carbs so don’t worry about it so much!
To celebrate cleanleanbean Breakfast Week we are starting off with this cracker of a Sunday Brunch!
Oh my goodness me. I cannot help having a bit of a joy-gasm when I think about this bacon sandwich. It tastes amazing. Its fresh and clean and does not leave you feeling bloated or sluggish as bread does. But with all the flavour of bacon and you know how good that is! You need to try it to believe it. It’s the ultimate weekend brunch.
Aubergines are high in:
- Vitamin B1 and 6
They are reported to protect the brain, control glucose absorption and lower cholesterol
In the picture I had run out of spinach so I used raw kale instead.
This recipe is
Scroll down for Adaptations and Life Hacks
Eat Clean Bacon Sandwich with Aubergine Bread (serves 1)
- 1 small aubergine
- 1 egg beaten
- 4 oz ground almonds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooking oil of your choice (coconut oil tastes delicious with this recipe)
- 2-4 rashers of bacon
- Handful of raw spinach
- 1 tomato sliced
- A dollop of Delicious Creamy Avocado Dip
- Pre heat the grill and put a frying pan on the heat with cooking oil of your choice
- Slice the aubergine length ways, about 1/2 cm wide. You should get 4 slices out of a small aubergine, enough for 2 sandwiches which for me is 1 portion
- Tip the ground almonds onto a plate and season with salt and pepper
- Tip the beaten egg onto a separate plate
- Dip the slices of aubergine into the egg and then coat both sides in ground almonds.
- Stand on a clean plate
- Put the bacon under the grill,keep an eye on it and turn when ready and then keep warm
- Meanwhile fry the aubergine over a medium heat so that the aubergine cooks and the almond coating turns golden. Flip over and repeat. (about 4 mins each side)
- Remove the aubergine from the heat and layer up with Avocado dip, bacon, tomatoes and spinach and then top with another piece of aubergine
- Tuck in an enjoy
Substitute the bacon for fried Halloumi Cheese or pine nuts
Have the Delicious Creamy Avocado Dip made up in the fridge already – there are lots of other ideas on this blog as to how to use it
Use up any left over aubergine in a stir fry, Ratatouille or Bolognaise. Use spinach instead of lettuce in sandwiches and salads, use it in smoothies or in my Chicken Curry Wraps that posted yesterday.
What is your favourite sunday brunch? Leave a comment below and get involved!
Want to make someones Sunday? You can share this recipe on Facebook or Twitter by clicking on the buttons below or you can email it to a friend by clicking on more.